Top Ten Local News Tweeters

As of June 22,2010, Broadcasting and Cable Magazine named the following ten as being the most influential, having clout, chops on Twitter. This was in 2010…and Amy Wood and are stillconnected nearly daily with many others as of May, 2014. you can move a lot of news this way with 140 characters…we are influential. We have continued to add a lot of news folks across the country to our “News Posse.”

Okay, so on the surface we are spread out all over the country. Notably the big markets of New York City and Miami are not represented, but some smaller markets are.

Most of us have been in television for a good long while representing hundreds of years in TV. Collectively we have tens of thousands of Facebook friends and Twitter followers, okay so what how does that make us influential?

I think the key is not having huge numbers but the kind of people we are following and those following us. When I follow someone it’s because they are smart and they are giving out information, whether it be in an emergency (earthquake, amber alert, those kinds of things) or whether they are giving me information that I think others would want to know about and are worthy of retweets.

Twitter, as is Facebook, is a platform to disseminate information. News breaks first on Twitter, period. All ten of us know that. So when we hear or see something important we tweet it, which helps the news organizations for which we work. Because we are networkers by nature and facilitators, this is good for news and off of this will be the future.

The main thing here is that the ten of us in shear numbers are doing our thing to figure out this news answer. But each individual is just as powerful.

I wonder what would happen if all ten of us got in a room for good and did our thing, would it change the world? It might be a start. Tweet that!

~Ann Nyberg @AnnNyberg

Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2010 Ann Nyberg

1. Posted June 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

I’d add Stephen Clark @sclarkwxyz of WXYZ Channel 7 in Detroit. He’s a big part of the twitter and facebook community, plus he has a regular Skype interview segment where he highlights what’s happening on new media to his traditional TV media audience.

• Annie Mame
      Posted June 29, 2010 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Charlie, you are most kind. I thank you very much for the info as we all try to figure out where social media is headed.

2. Amy Wood
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Ann
    Great post. Agree with so much you have shared here. Would add that LISTENING is critical to success. And I’d love to see what could happen if we could all get together for a brainstorming session. Thanks to our followers for helping us to make it work!!!

• Annie Mame
      Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:12 am | Permalink

Amy, you are so correct, “listening” is key. People want to have a voice but they don’t know where to go. Social media helps, if the media listens, really listens and puts folks on in real time, there is a wonderful chance that new media will be figured out quickly. You my friend are doing an amazing job. Congrats on your listing as the #1 loal news twitterer in the U.S.!

3. Posted June 29, 2010 at 10:07 am | Permalink

I’m glad to see I’m not alone in the broadcast wing of the Twitterverse.

My thanks to Charlie Wolberg (well known as @charliecurve here in Detroit) for the shoutout.

I’d be interested in sharing ideas with the top Twitterers on how to make the most of these connections.

4. Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Ann. Really liked you wrote. I’ve been accused of many things but knowing much about “social media” is not one them. I tweeted yesterday about 7 or 8 others in local television news who I think deserve to be on this list before me. All I know is Twitter (and Facebook) works for me. Great source for info/leads. Another way to connect with viewers while on the air. It’s so much faster than the AP when it comes to breaking news. And it’s fun. Brain surgery, it’s not. I’m here to learn from you all…