It’s All About The Eyes

DSCN1112-300x2251What happens when your husband gives you a gift of oil paints and canvas? Well, in Heidi Alamanda‘s case she picked up the paint brushes and never put them down.

That was in 2009 and she says she has found her real passion. It’s a far cry from what she set out to do. Heidi has an MBA and was full speed ahead into a business career. That’s not happening now, but with her know how of numbers it will come in mighty handy as she continues her “business” as an artist.

I had the pleasure of seeing her work following an invitation from phtographer, David Apuzzo. He has a space for exhibits at his gallery in Hamden, Connecticut. David really likes helping others and so he set up this space and painted it red to showcase talent. The red allows the exhibits to really pop off the wall. If you’re reading this and think you would like to hang your work here and invite guests, get a hold of David and have a chat. Before you do that, check out his web site. David is not your run-of-the-mill shooter and has no intentions of being that.

Heidi Alamanda was born and raised in Indonesia. She came to America in 2003 and has now settled with her husband in New Haven, Connecticut.

Can you believe the eyes in her paintings? Unbelievable, just beautiful. She says thru a person’s eyes you can see into their soul. The eyes in her paintings of whimsical women are exaggerated, huge, and that’s the focus of her work. These wonderful works of art from someone who is self taught, imagine that.

Heidi is charming and wide-eyed and so excited to tell you about her work. Besides her bigger paintings she is experimenting with note cards which I took a shot of. She paints a small woman on the envelope by hand, they are just precious.

You can listen to Heidi here about her life as an artist.

Photo Gallery

Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2010 Ann Nyberg

1. Carrie
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 10:39 am | Permalink

What an amazing talent! Just beautiful!

• Annie Mame
      Posted November 28, 2010 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Heidi is as sweet as she is talented, amazing for just picking up the brushes in 2009.

2. Posted November 29, 2010 at 12:37 am | Permalink

@Carrie: Thanks so much

@Ann: Ann, you are such a sweet and wonderful person to talk to. Thank you for posting this.
    I’ve been painting for around two and a half years in total.
    I picked up some cheap brushes really briefly in mid 2007 and I had to pause in order to focus on school. I started painting again until the fall of 2008 and decided to become a full-time artist in 2009:)

• Annie Mame
      Posted November 29, 2010 at 7:55 am | Permalink

@Heidi you are well on your way to becoming one of those artists who will last generations because of your passion.

3. Posted November 29, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Aaaah pretty Heidi is on the vid!
    How cool is that :D. I loved to hear and see you. Your work is simply gorgeous and yes the eyes always captures me! I also decided recently that I only want to be a full time illustrator. Not easy, but it’s what makes me happy in the end. And I can see it in your eyes Heidi, the way you talk about your work, your meant to do this!

Never stop painting! Big Thanks Annie for posting this too 😀

• Annie Mame
      Posted November 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Always go for the passion it will lead your far, if that’s being an illustrator, go for it!

4. Mike Reckner
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Very nice!
    Your Uncle Mike

5. Stephen Edwards
    Posted July 6, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Do a photoshoot with David, the best photographer I know. Passionate about his work and its awesome. I plan to do my 2nd one soon.

Posted July 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

David, is very inventful and so talented at his young age.