East Haddam, CT Is Home to World Class Wool

It’s a family affair when it comes to Farm House Yarns in East Haddam, Connecticut. It’s about raising sheep, buying wool from other New England farms, it’s about spinning and dyeing some of the finest wool for garments in the world. Yes, it’s right here in our backyard. According to the owner, Carol Martin, no two skeins are exactly alike which I find exciting. When and item is finished it is a real work of art. If you’re a lover of fiber arts this will be right up your alley.

Up the road a piece in Haddam is the retail shop called Connecticut Yarn & Wool Company, LLC. This home built in the 1800’s is chocked full of yarn and knitting needles, and buttons and whatever else you might need to sit and go at a project.

One of Carol’s most popular lines is called Lumpy Bumpy. The yarn has all kinds of thicknesses which is fun to knit up. She had a sweater she had made in the yarn outside on the back porch which is the entrance that caught my eye. See, her marketing works. I left the shop with some of that Lumpy Bumpy to make that sweater. Full disclosure, I also left with two skeins each of  wool in the colors of Seafoam and Glacier Mist in order to make two Twisted Wraps. Carol also had one of those on display. By the way I finished one of the wraps in about 24 hours.

Carol and company sell their wool to shops in 43 states, that’s how popular her wool is.

The farm and the shop are just a stone’s throw or so from the landmark Goodspeed Opera House right along the Connecticut River. This is a beautiful part of the state at any time of the year.

The walls of the shop are filled to the brim with all kinds of yarns in addition of Carol’s wools. There are little statues of sheep too all over the shop, stuffed and ceramic. The one I took of shot of just happened to have on a baby sweater on, and yes, there is a pattern for it.

When Carol sells you a pattern it comes encased in plastic so it’s all set to go for those road trips.

Carol believes in treating her customers like they’re in her home.So, there are free knitting and crocheting lessons, just check the web site for what is up next.

In warmer months, you can sit out back on the porch which overlooks a vast back yard, it’s a beautiful spot in southern New England. Oh, and there is a Dunkin Donuts directly across the street if you get to the shop early and need your morning coffee, just sayin.

The retail shop has been open for about three years, when you’re swinging by that part of the state, drop in.

Oh, and here is “my” twisted wrap from Carol’s pattern, I added a sparkly brooch of course. Nothing like a little glitter to get you through the day!

1. Carol Martin
    Posted February 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Ann,

I cannot thank you enough for this. What a wonderful piece of work!! You
    are doing all of us a very great service, and I appreciate it very very
    much. Thanks for giving us a very big boost, and thank you for what you are
    doing for all of us in small business. Please let me know how I can further
    your work in any way. And, of course, when you do get a little time for
    you, come on over and knit with us!!

All the best,

Connecticut Yarn and Wool Company, LLC
    85 Bridge Road
    Haddam CT 06438
    860-345-9300
    FAX 860-345-9301

Posted February 23, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Carol, it was my pleasure, what you have built there is amazing. I have to tell you that I’m almost done with my first twisted wrap in the Seafoam and it is gorgeous. Incidentally that’s something you might want to encourage among your knitters and crocheters, have them send you shots of things they have made with your gorgeous yarn. in fact start a quick knit-a-thon and have folks knit something for St. Patrick’s Day!

2. Jodi Everlith
    Posted February 24, 2011 at 4:19 am | Permalink

What a great article! I LOVE CT Yarn and Wool, such a beautiful shop in such an ideal location! A wonderful escape from the every day hectic life 🙂 Also Farmhouse yarns are AMAZING!!! Lumpy Bumpy has been my favorite for years!!! Ann how cool it is to learn that you are a knitter!

Posted February 24, 2011 at 5:10 am | Permalink

Jodi, thanks for finding my web site, yes, we knitter have to stick together.

3. Joan Van Tienen
    Posted February 24, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Carol, I coaxed my husband to let me “just run in and check it out” one late Sunday afternoon. Needless to say, he sat in the car for a while! Your shop is such a cozy, colorful place, and I hope to come back with a fellow knitter real soon. Would you post a picture of the twisted wrap?

Ann, I too thank you for your enthusiasm and interest in our state’s small businesses. There certainly are many treasures for us to delight in, some tucked into the most unexpected places. I used to have a little herb and country shop at my home in Clinton years ago, and can appreciate the boost you are giving these small businesses. You are such a busy lady, but I like to think of you taking time for you, whipping up that twisted wrap! Carry on!

Posted February 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Joan, I will post a photo of the wrap on this post as soon as i can get it up in the next few days, keep checking back here. Thanks for reading.

4. Catie Reno
    Posted February 24, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I first met Carol when she had her huge sale of yarn in her driveway.. Yes her driveway. There were so many bins of yarn for sale it was overwhelming. Her shop Connecticut Wool and Yarn Company in East Haddam is a great place to browse and spend some time. Her yarns are wonderful.

Posted February 24, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Catie, I know what you mean about overwhelming, if you’re a lover of the fiber arts, it’s tough to chose what to get.

5. Joan Van Tienen
    Posted February 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks Ann for posting the wrap. It’s beautiful! And I like the brooch idea. I will refrain from the obvious comment about “losing your head” over knitting. Oops, I couldn’t do it!

6. Carol Martin
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

I cannot believe you finished the wrap already–how glamorous!!

7. Ann Nyberg
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Carol, once yarn gets into my hands it’s difficult not to get the project done so I can see how it comes together. 🙂