“Act Two” Is A Yarn Shop

This yarn shop called The Yarn Basket in Branford, Connecticut couldn’t be more soothing for the soul.

I happened upon it after getting stuck in traffic on I-95 and got off on route 1, and saw their sign and the car veered itself off the roadway and into the parking lot. Those of you who are fiber nuts get this don’t you?

So I hop out of the car and go inside and as you would expect there was a table with folks creating various beautiful projects and chatting away, solving the world’s problems.

It turns out this shop is the “Act Two” for Warren and Helen Gohsler of Guilford, Connecticut, yep both husband and wife are knitters and they have found their passion even before they have quit their day jobs. How lucky are they to have found this already.

As a knitter, I’m working on projects year round, but if you’re the type that likes to nest only in the colder months, you’ll find the coffee pot on here and all are welcome. Warren will tell you that the staff is experienced enough to get you out of the tightest knitting spot whether it be having dropped a stitch one hundreds rows back, or are just having trouble figuring out that darn cable pattern.

“The Basket” has classes and all the accoutrements that go along with making an item, so it’s one stop shopping that way.

If you find yourself stuck in traffic, it’s not a bad way to go to stop here and see what’s new in the fiber world. You’ll get more from Warren below on the personality of his shop.

1. Posted September 6, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Love this, Ann! And hope you stopped by Lenny’s Indian Head Inn for lobster while you were there!!! Since the 80’s it’s the one stop I make sure I make whenever I’m near Branford!!!

Posted September 7, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Thanks for reading Lisa, and one of your delicious recipes would go great with that lobster.

2. Posted September 7, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

I have to tell my sister about the Yarn Basket, she is Hooked on yarn!!!

Posted September 7, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Thanks for the read, yarn can be as soothing as jewelry making 🙂

3. Eileen
    Posted September 7, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Ann, I stopped by The Yarn Basket for the first time on my way to Pepe’s Pizza last month. Talk about a terrific evening!

Posted September 7, 2011 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Eileen, thanks for reading!

4. Posted September 11, 2011 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I am so glad you found Warren’s shop, Ann. I have only visited the shop once, and during that visit, I loaned Warren my new Vado video camera for him to do a video walk through of his store. I work with Warren at Amity – a computer technology integration specialist at one of the middle schools, and I was experimenting with what was then, a new technology tool – the little hand-held video camera that could be plugged into a computer via a USB port -so simple. Here is the link to that YouTube video:
    Warren is such a terrific educator, entrepreneur, and person. Thanks for helping to advertise his place of creativity and joy. You know, I ‘m getting ready to retire. I loved to crochet but never had much luck with knitting. Maybe, knowing I have a support staff to help me with any project I attempt will encourage me to try knitting again.

Posted September 11, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Carolyn, thanks for reading and for posting here too. Love the video Warren shot, and yes, you will have a big time support staff here. i saw that for myself.

5. Posted September 23, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks for showcasing Warren’s shop! Although I hit every fiber
    shop around this is my favorite. I even teach there!

Do you know about the New England Fiber Fest at the grounds
    Of the big E. This year it will be Nov 5-6. A must do!

Gail

6. Janice
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

So glad you found this wonderful shop, loved it and are spreading the word. Happy knitting!

7. Joyce Santos
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Nice article! I found the Yarn Basket about the same way. I was driving from Massachusetts to NJ .. Got off the highway in Branford and found this gem of a shop. I had a found a pattern in a magazine from the UK and was having trpuble finding yarn that would work Warren and Helen jumped to my rescue, came up with multiple choices and off I went. Now if I can on,y finish the sweaters for my Granddaughter so I can work on my sweater, I will be all set.

8. Joan
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Ann, I have just read Warren’s news letter where he mentioned that you had “happened” upon his yarn shop. I have been going there for several years and have found it to be the best organized and run yarn shop in the area. Running a small business is very hard in these tough economic times (I know because I also have a small business in New Haven) so I am sure that the “buzz” that you have created for The Yarn Basket will be greatly appreciated!

9. Sharon falanga
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Ann, I was happy to see you visited the Yarn Basket. Warren and Maureen are always very helpful every time I go in there. They have a great selection of yarns and offer classes that I have taken and enjoyed. Sharon

10. Posted September 23, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Hi Ann,
    I own the sewing studio next door to Warren. I also find myself wandering over to buy a skein or two! I love his shop. He’s a great neighbor.
    Whether it’s knitting, sewing, smocking, embroidery or any other form of hand made project, being creative is relaxing and good for the soul.

11. Laurie
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

I too have recently found the Yarn Basket…Gorgeous yarns and wonderful helpful people!

12. Sheila Orienter
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 5:28 am | Permalink

I have been knitting for over 50 years and I agree, this shop is a wonderful find! We found it on a very busy day during the I-95 shop hop. The shop itself is welcoming, light and the people were wonderful. My only complaint is that it isn’t close enough to my neck of the woods!

13. Sarah
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Love, love, love the Yarn Basket !!! The selection is wonderful and you couldn’t ask for a more helpful and knowledgeable, and fun group of people.

14. Mary Grabowski
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 8:48 am | Permalink

My husband and I love the Yarn Basket. I don’t do as much knitting as I used to do. But when I need yarn I head to the Yarn Basket. My housband loves it because it is so well organized.

15. Rose Ann
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Warren’s shop is great I first met Warren when he was going to Marlene’s shop in North Branford she now runs his shop in Branford for him. Ann I hope you have time to visit if you haven’t already Knitters East which is being held at the Hartford Convention Center the 3rd week of Oct from thursday to sunday, it has over 150 vendors and since it is in Htfd many of our great CT yarn shops are there so if anyone can’t visit them individually they can see them all in one spot, and while your there you have to check out Web’s, it is the greatest shop in MA great yarn and great prices with BIG discounts.

16. Kathryn
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 9:11 am | Permalink

This is a great interview. I love The Yarn Basket – what a wonderful little shop! I’m from Stamford but my boyfriend lives in Killingworth – we literally tripped over this store one day driving around. I love popping in on my way up or way down now. Love their selection! Feeding my yarn addiction. 😉

17. Candy
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

I too got off I-95 when stuck in traffic and found the Yarn Basket. What a wonderful shop! It had exactly what I was looking for. I just wish that I lived closer and could visit more often.

18. Nancy Nicoll
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

It is the best yarn store. They have everything. Warren and the ladies could not be more helpful and attentive. Love going there. Your blood pressure just drops when you enter and start fingering the yarn.

19. Irene Williams
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

I’m new to Branford and what a surprise when I found the Yarn Basket! It’s a great place ~

20. Tricia
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Yarn basket has a Ravelry fan group:

21. Debbie St. Thomas
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

We are fortunate to have such a wonderful shop here in Branford. Here is an article I wrote for Branford Patch back in July about The Yarn Basket. http://branford.patch.com/articles/summertime-knitting
    I’ve taken two classes there already and look forward to taking more!

22. Judy Creta
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Ann, I was happy to hear you visited the Yarn Basket and what a nice article
    you wrote on them. I have known Warren, his wife and Marlene from Marlene’s
    shop in No. Branford and they are amazing people. I have taken a class there and
    have sent several friends to the shop and all agreed it is the best. I couldn’t think
    of a better place to hang out or to buy all my yarn for different projects. I am
    happy to have them in my home town. Hope to see you there some day.

23. Arlene Silva
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Ann, so happy you found Warren and the Yarn Basket. And it’s so exciting that you are a big time knitter cause I am a big fan of yours and your caring personality. I taught some co-workers to knit and we all love his shop and his warm welcoming attitude. See you there!

24. Jackie Triumfo
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Love Warren and Helen, have been friends for years and absolutely love the shop. They are so helpful especially when your not too sure of yourself and what you are doing. They have helped me more times than you could imagine.

25. Barbara Santone
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Wow! You were lucky to have been stopped in traffic near Warren and Helen’s shop. And yes the shop is great. A fantastic selection. What they didn’t mention is that Warren is a wonderful organist and Helen has a superb voice!! How blessed thay are.

26. Marlana A Rugg
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 4:31 am | Permalink

Ann

I am thrilled that you have featured Warren and The Yarn Basket. Warren and his wife Helen are generous in time, energy, laughter, and talent. This store has become a favorite LYS (Local Yarn Shop) for my mother, my father, and myself. I love how Warren has modeled the mantra that ‘Real Men Knit’ and motivates such a wide range of people to develop their own talents.

I must also credit Warren for encouraging me to teach knitting classes on occasion. Without his support, the thought may not have occurred to me and I would have missed an opportunity to keep myself in stitches.

Some favorites about The Yarn Basket include how people are greeted by name and how photos of projects people create with Warren’s yarn are highlighted around the store. The atmosphere exudes a soothing energy that cultivates warmth, inclusion, and most of all talented creativity.

I would love to see you at The Yarn Basket again soonest,
    Marlana

27. Penny
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Your article about The Yarn Basket is terrific. My husband and I are both knitters and love the store. Thank you.

28. Posted January 31, 2012 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Ann, I just found your blog and am so happy I did! I just started getting back into crocheting (and really would like to learn how to knit one of these days!) and am excited to visit this shop. I had to giggle — I am a massage therapist and when I lived in Washington, D.C., a knitter’s group would hire me to come once a month to give hand massages to each of the members during a meetup. The discussions I was privy to were so interesting and heartfelt that it was an honor to be welcomed into their circle. An activity like that really does bring out something special in people.

Posted January 31, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Marissa, thank for finding my blog and thank you for taking the time to comment, this shop is wonderful.

29. Ruthann
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Thank you for happening upon this shop! I just asked my husband where Branford is as I’m directionally challenged and told him that both owners knit and that he should check everything out with me since one of the owners is a male he should feel comfortable among all the yarn and ladies! lol

Posted March 14, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Ruthann, You will love this shop, it’s wonderful.